Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Please don't call me lazy

All of my life I have been told that I have so much potential but I am just lazy or I don't apply myself.  Well maybe that is true, maybe I am lazy.  Think for a moment if you were sleep deprived and if it were a chore for you to make it through the day, to struggle to stay awake through an eight hour work day not to mention the hour commute there and then hour commute home, collapse for a 30 minute nap and then wake for a few hours of you time just to go to bed with many different episodes of waking in the middle of the night, never getting that deep sleep that your body much needs to re-charge.  Now imagine going through this for 41 years, 3 children, 2 divorces and countless other life changing events.  I know, lot's of people go through all sorts of things every day and that is what I told myself for years, the difference is that I don't ever get to regenerate.  I am a Narcoleptic and my body doesn't allow me to.  So if I seem to be lazy it's not intentional, it's sheer and simple exhaustion.  Imagine your most exhausted state, do you want to get up and do those things that really need to be done? Can you always do them?  Sometimes your body just doesn't allow it.  So please the next time you feel the need to judge someone, take some time and ask them if maybe they need some help or if there is something else going on.  Maybe they're not lazy, maybe they just need a moment, maybe they need just a 25 minute nap to re-charge.  That might be the best they can ever hope for in this life, because that might be all that they can get!

2 comments:

  1. Was I am so glad I found this blog it sounds like me... I am thirty six now , was diagnosed with n+k at twenty. I didn't like the meds so never took them regularly and gave them up completely. now I have been med free for about ten years. I work as a teacher and drive a car, not everyone i know knows about my condition so I am lucky to be able to manage. I do have some excess weight on my belly that is very difficult to lose although I eat very healthy. Working out is not my favorite. .. I do try to go out for a run occasionally and have periods where I do yoga daily but here we are still ten pounds to go and not madly motivated... so any advice on this would be so cool. I have no kids but want to start soon... not in the most stable relationship tho and very unsure if I can manage to raise a child without a reliable partner. ..how do you feel about this? Even for a woman without narcolepsy it is tough. Anyway great to have found you. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete